Monday, July 15, 2013

This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  John 15:12

The point Jesus is making in verse 12 of John 15 is very clear.  He tells his disciples that they are to love one another as he has loved them, and knowing what we know about Jesus and what he is about to do for them in John 18-19, this is a tall order. 

Jesus loved his disciples to such an extent that he laid down His life for them, and here he is calling them to have that same love for one another.  Believer, how are you doing in this area of your spiritual life?  How are you doing when it comes to loving God’s people? 

I have met some who have said, “I love Jesus, but can not stand the church.”  They say, “I love Christ, but can not stand Christians.”  And the reason they say this is because in the church, you encounter people who are immature, difficult, frustrating, and arrogant.  But listen again to what Jesus says in verse 12.  He says,

 This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

We are to love others as Jesus has loved us.  Ask yourself this, “Am I, at times, immature, difficult, frustrating and arrogant.”  Then ask yourself, "Does Jesus cut ties with me when I am this way?"  Then neither should we. 

According to this verse of Scripture, we have no excuse for not putting up with God’s people because Jesus has put up with us.  We have no excuse for not loving God’s people because Jesus has loved us and He tells us very clearly, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments."  And one of his commandments is this, ‘That you love one another as I have loved you.’”  And Jesus says, “As you do this you will show that you are mine—you will show that you are abiding in me.”