Monday, June 9, 2014

He [Jesus] said to him [Peter], “Feed My lambs.”  John 21:15

If Peter was going to be restored, if he was going to be a pastor, a shepherd to the flock of Christ, loving Jesus meant feeding Christ’s lambs. Let’s quickly run ahead: He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep” (vv. 16–17). 

Some have made much out of the variation in the terms here—“Feed My lambs,” “Tend My sheep,” and “Feed My sheep.” Some believe the lambs are the new converts and the sheep are the old ones, and that there’s a difference between tending and feeding. I don’t think Jesus’ words had any such meaning. I think He was simply saying, “If you want to be a pastor, a shepherd, then feed My sheep; don’t starve them. Make them your highest concern.”

We are witnessing a great tragedy in the revolution of worship in the United States. Following the model of “seeker-sensitive” worship is harming the church. The idea is that if you want your church to grow, you must design worship to meet the desires and the interests of non-Christians. I believe in seeker-sensitive worship, but not in the way most modern worship theorists define it. The Bible says in our natural state, no one seeks after God. It is only when a person’s heart is regenerated by the Spirit of God so that he is born again that he begins to seek God. That is why Jonathan Edwards said that seeking after God should be the main business of the life of the Christian.

On the night of my conversion, I went to the dorm parking lot with my best friend in college. We got in my car and I turned the engine over, then hit myself in the shirt pocket. I said to my buddy, “I’m out of cigarettes; I need to go back in the dorm.” So I went in, down the stairs to the cigarette machine, and got a pack of Luckies for a quarter. When I turned to go back upstairs, there was a fellow there who said, “Sit down.” So I did and he told me about Jesus. I wasn’t seeking Jesus; I was seeking cigarettes, but I found Jesus. Seeking after God starts at conversion; it doesn’t end there. That’s why a truly seeker-sensitive worship service is designed for Christians.

The saints, the holy ones, those called out from the world assemble together on Sunday mornings to be fed. We are to do evangelism, engage in outreach, and be involved in ministries of mercy, but Sunday morning belongs to the sheep. It is the task of the pastor and of the church to feed the sheep. If someone who is not a sheep comes in, that’s fine, but we’re not going to change the menu and give the sheep goats’ food. Worship is for the sheep.

Why did Jesus put so much emphasis on feeding the sheep? When the sheep of Christ are fed, nurtured, and filled with the strength of Christ and of His word, they become a mighty army turned loose on the world. Babies have almost no influence in a culture. Before they can turn the world upside down, they have to grow up, they have to become mature, and that happens as they are fed the Word of God. Nothing less will do.

Notice that when Jesus spoke to Peter, He did not say, “Peter, if you love Me, feed the goats.” Neither did He say, “Peter, take care of your flock; feed your sheep.” He said, “Feed My sheep, feed My lambs, tend My sheep.” He said, “If you love Me, if I make you a pastor, whatever else you do, take care of My sheep—feed them, tend them, strengthen them.” Those who are called as pastors are undershepherds, given the task of tending Jesus’ sheep.

Sproul, R. C. John. St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary. Lake Mary, FL: Reformation Trust Publishing, 2009.