Monday, September 3, 2012

THE IMPORTANCE OF ORDER IN WORSHIP

After graduating from College, I moved back home for a semester to save money before leaving for Seminary.  One way I decided to make money that semester was by substitute teaching. 
On my first day, I was called to sub in a kindergarten classroom and the teacher that I subbed for had a student teacher who had been assisting her for the spring semester.  Because her student teacher was also sick on that day, I had to use notes left by the teacher for the student teacher and those notes were written in code.  They might as well have been written in Spanish because I had no idea what was being said. 
 
So, here I am my first day of teaching using notes left for another teacher trying to teach this class.  And after forgetting the pledge and unknowingly skipping their review of the alphabet, the kids began to act like any kid does when you throw a wrench in their routine.  It wasn’t ten minutes into the day, and I had already lost control of the classroom.  As a result, the class was anything but orderly. 
What I needed, more than anything on that day was a clear and comprehensible set of instructions written in a way I could understand.  Because I was clueless on the way the day was supposed to flow and on what was to be taught, and the way things were to be organized, the classroom was chaotic which resulted in each kid leaving that day having learned little to nothing from me.  Because of the chaos and disorder in the classroom, the time I spent with them was unfruitful and futile. 
 
The same is true of a disorderly worship service.  If when the church gathers together, there is little to no structure, and this “go with the flow” “whoever feels led” attitude, those attending will benefit little to nothing from the service—believers will not be built up.