Monday, March 2, 2015

Now Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.  And a man lame from birth was being carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple that is called the Beautiful Gate to ask alms of those entering the temple.  Seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked to receive alms.  And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, “Look at us.”  And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them.  But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!”  And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong.  And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God.  Acts 3:1-8

I said on Sunday that many of us are like this lame beggar in Acts 3.  There are many in our world today that are looking for happiness in things that pale in comparison to what God has to offer.  They go out day after day in pursuit of a few coins thinking that will make them happy and go home night after night empty, unfulfilled and miserable. 

That’s the way the lame beggar is in this story.  But when he encounters Jesus through Peter and John, he gets more than he could have ever imagined.  That’s the way it was for me when Jesus found me.  I was looking for something more in this life—I wasn’t looking for Jesus, but something more and when Jesus found me and gave me life in Him, I got more than I could have ever imagined.  I just wanted to be happy, Christ gave me joy everlasting.  I wanted a good life in the here and now; with Christ I got eternal and abundant life with Him and with His people, forever.