Monday, January 5, 2015

I urge you, then, be imitators of me.  1 Corinthians 4:16

I have heard pastors say before, “Live as I say and not as I do.”  They say, “Don’t follow me, follow Jesus.”  Is that the biblical pattern for leadership?  Is that the model Paul left for us?  In 1 Corinthians 4:16 he calls for the Christians at Corinth to “be imitators of (him).”  He says, “Follow me as I follow Jesus.”

Those who say “Do as I say and not as I do” are guilty of what Jesus accused the Pharisees of doing.  In Matthew 23:2-4, he says,

The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat…they preach, but do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger. 

The Scribes and the Pharisees had all of their doctrines in order.  They knew the Bible and could quote God’s law better than anyone.  They, however, had a major problem.  They did not have a lifestyle to match. 

That’s not the kind of example Paul sets forth here.  He doesn’t say, “Follow my teachings.”  He says, “Follow my life.”  Can you say that?  Can you tell people, “If you live the way I live, then you will be living the life Christ has called you to live?”  Can you say that?  If not, what needs to change?  What in your life is out of sync spiritually?


Christ has called for us to be His disciple makers.  To make disciples we have to live the way disciples live.  Scripture is clear that discipleship is so much more that teaching principles to people.  Discipleship is living principles in front of people.  That’s the way Paul viewed it and that’s why he called for us to follow him as he followed Christ.