Monday, October 6, 2014

SALVATION BELONGS TO THE LORD

One of the main truths we learn about God from the second chapter of Jonah is that Salvation from start to finish is from God.  It is solely a work of His.  At the end of chapter 1, Jonah was in a bad way.  He was on the verge of drowning in the midst of the sea and notice what he says in chapter 2:2.  He says, “I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and He answered me."  He says, “I remembered you and cried out to you and you heard me and reached down to me and rescued me—you saved me.”

This was solely a work of God.  Notice, God did not throw Jonah a life jacket for Him to swim to, nor did He provide him with a boat to row His way out.  Instead, he appointed a fish to swallow Jonah up, and he also commanded the fish to vomit him out on dry land.  Jonah played no part whatsoever in any of that.  His salvation was solely from the Lord.

And not only did God provide the means and do all the work in saving Jonah, but he also gave him the desire to be saved.  Look again at chapter 2:3.  Jonah says,

For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me.

Notice Jonah says, “God, you cast me into the deep." Jonah understands that though the sailors threw him overboard, God is ultimately responsible for him being where he is.  Notice he refers to the waves as “God’s waves.”  He says, “Your waves and your billows passed over me.”  Jonah understands that God is ultimately in control and has led him to this point, which is why he says in chapter 2:9, "Salvation belongs to the Lord."