Monday, May 21, 2012

ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE

For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.  To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.  To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.  1 Corinthians 9:19-22

Growing up, do you remember wanting a certain something—it could be anything from a pair of shoes to a car, and your parents told you that you could have it, but you would have to make sacrifices in order to get it?  Do you remember the sacrifices you made for that item?  Now let ask you this, “Where is that item today?  Where are those shoes, that toy, those clothes or even that car today?” 

Truth is we sacrifice so much for temporal things, for things that don’t even matter at this moment much less for eternity, yet we sacrifice very little for the things of God.  In 1 Corinthians 9, we are given a wonderful example of what our priorities in life should be.  In the Scriptures, we learn that the Apostle Paul made huge sacrifices in his life and ministry with the major difference being the fact that he slaved for things that matter for eternity because he sacrificed for others and invested in people. 

Though he admits at the beginning of chapter 9, he is free in Christ he tells us here in the later half of this chapter that he out of love for the lost limits the freedom he has and makes himself a slave to everyone in order to win as many as possible for Christ.  He says, “Though I am free, I set that liberty aside to win people.”

In this chapter, Paul explains that if exercising your freedom becomes a roadblock for people coming to Christ, you should waive that right so that God’s Gospel can advance.  Believers, this message from Paul to this messy church in Corinth is one that is necessary for us to hear today because limiting liberty for others is not an easy thing for us to do. 

Let’s be honest, it’s hard enough to resist sin, much less waive the rights that we have and refrain from something that is lawful for us to do.  Yet God tells us in His Word that this is a sacrifice we should be willing to make.  The Bible tells us that before we exercise freedom, we need to be considerate of others and allow love to limit our liberty for the sake of the Gospel.