Monday, April 23, 2012

A WORD TO MARRIED BELIEVERS

I’ve had people in the past who are experiencing marital problems tell me, “I wish I could have a marriage like yours and never have any issues.”  And I never fail to tell them that Leslie and me have our fair share of struggles. 

Believers have problems like everyone else, and they do more harm than good when they are not honest about their struggles.  The reason why is because struggling couples look to their “seemingly perfect relationship” and see their own situation as being hopeless.  Wives look to other husbands and make unfair comparisons and so do husbands to other wives.  So it’s vital that we as believers be honest about our struggles in marriage. However, it’s also important that we not stop there, but that we come alongside struggling Christian couples and encourage them to seek out solid biblical council and respond biblically when problems occur. 

Unfortunately, many couples today do not believe their marriage is worth fighting for.  Many have asked, “Why can’t I just move on—why can’t I simply cut out?”  Well, one reason why is because God takes the vows you make before Him and to Him seriously (Ecclesiastes 5:4).  The second reason is because Scripture tells us that we are not to separate as believers.  Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:10-11,

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband(but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

The third reason why you should not be quick to quit on your marriage as believers is because you are indwelt with the Spirit of God.  Therefore, you have all you need to make your relationship work. 

So, if you or your spouse or both of you are a step or two away from cutting out and parting ways, seek out biblical council, because you have all you need as believers to turn your relationship around—you have all you need to honor God in your marriage.  Let me also say this, don’t wait until you have passed the point of return, but seek out marital advice early and often.