Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SERMON NOTES FOR MARCH 13, 2011

MAKING SENSE OF ENJOYMENT
Ecclesiastes 2:1-11

We are continuing our sermon series through the book of Ecclesiastes and in chapter 2:1-11, Solomon puts the pleasures of life to the test.

As we have said already, Solomon had it all and experienced it all and in this book writes about what he has learned from all his experiences. It’s like his life was lived as an experiment for us to learn from. In this passage he gives a report of what he has observed when it comes to the delights and enjoyments of life under the sun and here’s what he has to say…

PLEASURES ARE NOT THE ANSWER

2 I said in my heart, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure; enjoy yourself.” But behold, this also was vanity. 2 I said of laughter, “It is mad,” and of pleasure, “What use is it?” 3 I searched with my heart how to cheer my body with wine—my heart still guiding me with wisdom—and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was good for the children of man to do under heaven during the few days of their life.

In v. 1 Solomon says, “I gave pleasure a run.” And in vv. 2-3 he mentions that he sought pleasure through comedy and fine wine.

COMEDY

Solomon has already acknowledged that all of life is vanity and because this is the case he says, “Let’s see what laughter does—I’ll try laughter.” Some translators believe he means more than just comic relief--that he is referring to taking a light-hearted attitude about life.

Many people do this. They think, “Because life is filled with suffering and pain at least let me laugh a little.” You and I do this--“I had a horrible day, the circumstances in life stink—so I’m going to go home and watch a funny show or movie to get my mind off things.”

What we find, however, is that after the citcom or funny movie comes to an end, life is there waiting for us. At times escaping just makes matters worse because when we return the difficulties of life are waiting for us, which makes us more frustrated than when we left.

FINE WINE

Solomon goes on to say, "OK not laughter, how about wine?"

Now some read this verse and think that Solomon just got wasted and sinful--that he partied hard like spring breaker. Yet if you look closely at v. 3, he says while he was drinking his mind was sound guiding him wisely. He didn’t get drunk and sinful, but instead just enjoyed fine wine.

Solomon would have wine to calm his nerves and to lift his spirits, but what he found was that though it did that, it did not bring lasting satisfaction. Like comedy, though enjoyable, it did not ultimately satisfy.

At best comedy and fine wine are a break from the pain. That’s what we are after when we seek these things during difficult times—just an intermission from pain. Truth is no matter how many hit comedy movies we sit through or how many glasses of wine we drink, when the movie is over and the glass is empty life is still there waiting for us.

PROJECTS ARE NOT THE ANSWER

4 I made great works. I built houses and planted vineyards for myself. 5 I made myself gardens and parks, and planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. 6 I made myself pools from which to water the forest of growing trees.

Solomon moves on from laughter and fine wine to being productive. He says in vv. 4-6 that he became known for his great achievements.

First, Solomon built incredible structures. He spent 7 years building God’s Temple with a work force of 153,000. He spent 13 years on his palace probably with the same massive work force. On top of that he also planted vineyards—made gardens and parks with all kinds of fruit trees that landscaped his palace. To say that Solomon had “better homes and gardens” is an understatement—He had “superior homes and gardens.”

A key phrase used in this passage is “for myself.” Solomon did all of these things because he sought to find fulfillment in work. What he found, however, was that accomplishing these projects brought about nothing but futility and emptiness.

No matter how impressive the projects, Solomon wants his readers to understand that they do not bring lasting satisfaction.

POSSESSIONS ARE NOT THE ANSWER

7 I bought male and female slaves, and had slaves who were born in my house. I had also great possessions of herds and flocks, more than any who had been before me in Jerusalem. 8 I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces. I got singers, both men and women, and many concubines, the delight of the children of man.

Solomon also sought to find joy and lasting satisfaction in possessions.

He had both “male and female servants.”

Solomon's entourage was impressive. He had at least 35,000 people whose job it was to make him look good, feel good, and to make his life good.

He had great herds of livestock. He says at the end of verse 7, “I also own more herds and flocks than anyone before me in Jerusalem.”

He had a ridiculous amount of wealth. He says in verse 8, “I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces.”

He was also frequently entertained by musicians. He says, “I got singers, both men and women.” In those days because they did not have the technology we have today, if you wanted to listen to music you had to hire the band. Solomon had musicians on hand to play for him whenever he wanted.

He goes on to say, “(I have) many concubines, the delight of the children of man.” Solomon had a lot of women and they were not just to help with the chores around the house. They lived to serve Solomon. Yet he could not get satisfaction from these beautiful women. The bottom line is that none of these pleasures brought him lasting enjoyment.

NOTHING UNDER THE SUN IS THE ANSWER

9 So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. 10 And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. 11 Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, ALL WAS VANITY and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.

In these verses, Solomon gives a summary statement of what he has been talking about in vv. 1-8. In verse 9 he mentions that he had everything and more and on top of all that he said, “My wisdom remained with me.” In other words, “I have everything anybody could ever want, plus the smarts to go with it.” He has it all.

He also reminds us in v. 10 that he did not keep himself from anything that people think bring joy and happiness. He says, “I denied myself nothing my eyes desired. I refused my heart no pleasure.”

Fill in the blank in your life. “I would be happy if…” or “I will be happy when…”, and know that Solomon had it and experienced it. He then says, “I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, ALL WAS VANITY and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.”
Many are wearing themselves out in this pursuit of satisfaction and naively think that one day all this labor being done is going to amount to something. Solomon, who had more than any of us tells us in this verse that he never came to that conclusion. Instead he says the opposite. He says, “ALL IS VANITY AND STRIVING AFTER WIND.”

Arriving at Solomon’s conclusion is difficult because each of us are living under the notion that there is something out there that is going to do it for us and make us happy with the life we are living under the sun.

Though we are the most affluent, educated, successful and wealthy society in the history of the world studies show that we are also the most depressed and miserable in th history of the world. From the 70s till now divorce rates have more than tripled, teen suicide has more than tripled and it seems that the more wealthy we are the more miserable we become.

May we consider the words of Scripture that clearly tell us that though there is enjoyment to be had from the things of this world lasting satisfaction is only found in God—in a relationship with Him.