Monday, March 9, 2009


Last night, I spoke with our youth about a believer’s battle against pluralism. Pluralists believe that all religious roads lead to the same place and that all religions basically teach the same thing. Like it or not, our society is becoming more and more like this everyday. The question God’s people must ask is, “What should be our response?”

We must first emphasize truth over sincerity. Our society places an emphasis upon sincerity by applauding religious diversity and by highlighting the positive contributions sincere religious followers make. What can be easily overlooked, however, is the damage many do by spreading false teachings. Jesus criticized the works of the religious leaders of His day by asserting, “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves” (Mt. 23:15). According to Ravi Zacharias, “In our real-life struggles between right and wrong, justice and injustice, life and death, we all realize that truth does matter. Real answers count for everything. If you and I are going to deal in reality, what matters most isn’t sincerity but truth. I want beliefs that correspond to what is objectively true” (8).

We must also understand and communicate to others that all religions are not the same. If all religious roads lead to the same place and each basically teach the same things, then why does the discussion of religion, like politics, cause so much debate? Zacharias answers by stating, “At the heart of every religion is a stubborn commitment to a particular way of defining life’s purpose” (9). He continues by asserting, “Every religion at its core is exclusive—in other words, every religion requires people to follow what it says is true and right” (9).

Lastly, we must discuss the implications of Jesus' exclusive claims. The most important decision one will ever make is whether or not to believe on Christ in light of these claims. Zacharias affirms, “Jesus, in fact, dared to say some highly exclusive things about Himself—things that leave us no choice but to agree or disagree” (11). Below I have listed several claims made by Christ and have briefly commented on the radical nature of each.

Matthew 10:37-38 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Loving and following Christ is the only way to be worthy of Him.

Luke 7:48- 49 - 48 Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." 49 The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"

Jesus can forgive sins.

John 8:23-24 23 But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins."

You will die in your sins if you don’t believe in Jesus.

John 10:27-28 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

Jesus gives eternal life to his people and no one can change that.

John 14:6- Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Jesus is the only way to God the Father.

Zacharias, Ravi. Jesus Among Other Gods. Nashville: Thomas Nelson. 2000. 8-11.